Thursday, August 28, 2014

Cutting Skills

Using scissors and cutting paper is an important skill that preschoolers need to learn and have experience in before attending Kindergarten.  Cutting with scissors requires the child to learn the skill of hand separation.  This simply means that the child is able to use his or her thumb, index finger, and middle fingers separately from the pinkie and ring finger {Education 101}.  For preschoolers this is obviously very challenging because their hands are so cute and tiny...and if they are my children, chubby little hands!  You can start exposing your child to scissors as early as 3 years old!  But for most it is not a perfected skill until they are around the age of 6 { and in some cases earlier, depending on the child of course}.  I encourage parents...PARENTS...to not be overwhelmed by the first several exposures to cutting.  They will NOT be able to stay on a straight line and they WILL demolish the paper into tiny shreds.  Often times, they tear the paper due to frustration of not being able to open and close the scissors.  That is normal and to be expected.  Simply encourage them to use the scissors and to hold the paper with their opposite hand.  They will get it soon enough!

This last week we began using scissors in our house with Gabe.  He is 4 and loves cutting.  I quickly remembered how important it is to cover important guidelines with pre k students as we began this journey.

1.  Pick small scissors with a rounded tip.  The things these kids think to do with scissors is insane.  Be safe! Ha!

2.  Talk to your child about scissor safety.  You remember being taught not not run with scissors and to always hold the pointy side down.  What worked for you, will work for them!

3.  We cut PAPER!  Not hair, clothes, bedding, or your brothers hair, clothes or bedding.  AND TONGUES!  No putting scissors in the mouth!  Yes, I did have to say that this week.

4.  When finished they need to be encouraged to put the scissors back where they belong and to pick up all scraps.  This is especially important if you are home schooling with toddlers around, which I am...and let me tell you, it's an important rule!

Now, I can't get upset with Gabe for wanting to cut his brothers hair, because his brothers hair is long and he often times is called a girl.  And I myself have been told that I cut my hair when I was older than him I think!  So here is my suggesting for the kids that want to be barbers:  Have them color a paper of themselves {great for All About Me}.  Then let them give themselves a haircut on the paper!  It seemed to work for us!  Happy cutting!!


No comments:

Post a Comment