Monday, August 25, 2014

Train Up a Child.... Bible Verses for the Home School Parent

Home school takes a lot of patience  and commitment.  It is not something that people should go into lightly.  I am not going to lie, at the beginning of every school year, I have these visions of myself conducting a perfect home school including all 4 of my children.  It's my June Cleaver daydream.  I wake up at 5:30 am and shower, put on my makeup, do my hair, put on a cute teacher outfit.  I prepare a hot and healthy breakfast for everyone and pack my husbands lunch.  I wake the children with a bright and cheery disposition and while smiling and jumping out of bed my children get dressed eager for their first lesson of the day {bible of course}.  We sit together at breakfast talking about God and the blessings he has given us.  We hug daddy goodbye and we run to our little desks eager for mommy to start teaching.

This NEVER happened.  Not one bit of it.  But I can tell you what did happen.  The beginning of home school is exhausting.  Getting into the routine.  Talking your children into how great it will be.  Balancing your new roles of not only mother, wife, chef, house cleaner, nurse, behavioral therapist, disciplinarian, and NOW teacher.  I'm not saying it's terrible...it is not terrible.  It's a wonderful journey.  But it is exhausting at times.  When I feel exhausted I need pick me ups from God's word, reminding me of why I am doing what I am doing.  These are my favorite verses that lift me up when I am questioning my role.

Deut 6:6-9  These commands I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.

...You must also build up your household.  Prov 24:27

Romans 12:2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Really of what benefit is it for a man to gain the whole world and to forfeit his soul?  Mark 8:36

Teach me to do your will for you are my God.  Your spirit is good, may it lead me in the land of uprightness.  Psalm 127:3

Only be careful and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live.  teach them to your children and to their children after them.  Deut. 4:9

No comments:

Post a Comment